This is the earliest outdoor known photo taken in Charleston, South Carolina.- Seigling’s Music House which sat on the corner of King and Beaufain Streets from 1840 until the early 1970s. It advertised itself as “America’s oldest music house.”
German-born John Seigling started his music store in 1819 on Meeting Street, selling harps, pianos and wind instruments. He relocated to 243 King Street (at the bend) after the 1838 fire. During the War (Between the States) Seigling’s firm manufactured drums for the Confederate Army. C. Casimer Seigling closed the store in 1970, after being a Charleston institution for 150 years.